Thursday, April 26, 2012

What's wrong with my video card?

Hey all,



K, here's the deal. I'm getting a new video card regardless so it's not a big deal, but I really would like to know what the problem is with my video.



Problem:

Any game I try to play on my computer has severe graphical issues. The problem started when I installed a registry file called "coolbits" in order to try and "overclock" my video card. Only after the fact did I find out it wasn't compatible with my current video card (NVidia GeForce 5200 FX... yeah it's old). Anyway, I realized I made a mistake, cuz the game I was playing (TES IV: Oblivion) kept freezing up on me. So I figured it must be that dumb file. So I restored Windows back to before I installed the dumb thing. Problem is I'm still having problems with it, now it affects all video games. It's gotten to the point where I've had to reformat my computer only it's still doing it. I tried to play World of Warcraft recently and it glitched so bad my monitor shut itself off. I know there's a problem with the card or files or something I just can't for the life of me figure out what it is. Like I said, I'm getting a new card by Friday, but I would like to play my games in the mean time.



Attempts:

So far I've tried restoring my computer (twice). I've reformatted my computer. I had the latest drivers for my video card, so I downgraded to see if the games would work on an older version. No luck. The temperature gadge application I'm running on my comp says the CPU is a lil hot but it's always been that way and I haven't had any problems with it thus far.



Question:

So what I really wanna know is if there is anyone out there that has an idea or has had a similar situation they were able to resolve, and if so how?



Thanks in advance for any responses recieved and/or advice given.



Sincerely,

Onyx|||overclocking CAN cause damage to video cards, only overclock if you know how and don't up the clock by to much|||system requirements for that r listed

Recommended:



3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

1 GB System RAM

ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:



Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit

512MB System RAM

2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

128MB Direct3D compatible video card

and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;

8x DVD-ROM drive

4.6 GB free hard disk space

DirectX 9.0c (included)

DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card

Keyboard, Mouse

and video cards are as follow

Supported Video Card Chipsets:



ATI X1900 series

ATI X1800 series

ATI X1600 series

ATI X1300 series

ATI X850 series

ATI x800 series

ATI x700 series

ATI x600 series

ATI Radeon 9800 series

ATI Radeon 9700 series

ATI Radeon 9600 series

ATI Radeon 9500 series

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series

NVIDIA GeForce FX series



Plus overclocking is the worestthing you can do to any hardware . you will shorten the life of your hardware and also void any warinty u hvae on it .

so do not over clock

No comments:

Post a Comment