Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Using a house fan to cool a video card(temporarily)?

Hi. The fan that's attached to my video card recently stopped, and the gpu temperature began rising to near-damaging. So to make up for the loss of a fan, i opened up my computer's case and stuck a window fan(long one with 2 fans in it) alongside my computer. Now my graphics card's temperature stays at around 55 degrees C with no games running and around 60-68 C with games running which is a safe temperature i'm sure. But are there any precautions i should take with having a regular fan blow into my computer? or am i safe until i can go out and get a new fan for my video card? Thanks in advance|||you'll be getting a lot of dust and outright dirt in there with the case open like that. [my case's openings all have filters to keep the worst of the stuff out of my computer.]



not to maybe mention critters when the computer is off.



make sure you're using the same power source -- take no chance that the fan will go off while the computer is on and you aren't noticing.



68 C sounds like an awful lot to me ... my cpu sure wouldn't like that, hope your gpu is tougher.





GL|||As you know, this should only be a very temporary fix. Just remember, you are not only blowing air with that fan, you are also blowing everything in the air into the inside of your computer too - dust, moisture, pet hair, moisture, and oh yes ... did I mention moisture? While this will work for a short while, you need to get it repaired asap or quit using it for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment