Thursday, April 26, 2012

Video card (bfg gts 250 1gb) and case advice.?

just got my bfg tech gts 250. put it in my new dell vostro 220 case. i just installed a 650 watt power supply that im kind of regretting because its just taking all the room up in the case with these massive meshed cables. anyway I have 2 questions.

1. i ran a stress test on it and got it up to 80 degrees celcius before i stopped it. I have no idea what a safe max temperature i should run on this card is? i want to OC it as well.

2. those thick mesh cables are touching my video card. is that ok? everything is so crammed. i'm not buying another new case.. i've tied the cables but their still very heavy, can i electical tape them to the top of my case? how do i manage with a small case and massive parts.|||Go for a 260 for just a few bucks more or a 285 if you really like some quality, many Nvidia models below the X6XX is typically questionable at best and cost almost as much|||You could tape them, but that's gonna be a mess if you want to change things up at all. I would just get a bunch of zip ties. I zip tie mine and shove them into the empty optical drive/hard drive slots.



80 is hot, but I would look at the manuals that your stuff came with, they should give you max operating temps.



My stuff runs between 25 and 50 degrees C, but I would be fine with them going a little hotter. I wouldn't OC your graphics card, a GTS 250 can handle anything out right now, and 80 is pretty hot.



OC your processor instead, it probably runs cooler and the improvement you'll get from that will be better.|||80C is high for any component. I run a 9800GTX+, a GTS 250 1GB is a rebranded 9800GTX+. My temps never go above 65C overclocked ( It was a factory unoverclocked model and I pushed it up to the factory overclocked speeds ). I run in an antec 1200 full tower case. An antec 900 would work for you.



Dell cases are meant for relatively tame parts. You will not be able to overclock in that case without putting ridiculously loud fans in it or water cooling. The high end of systems meant to fit in that case are dual core systems with a 9600GT or other video cards not longer than the PCI slot.



To put it in perspective, I have 3 120MM intakes, a 120MM side intake, 2 120MM exhausts, and 1 200MM exhaust on my case. The PSU and GPU pretty much monopolize the part of the case with 2 of the 3 120MM intakes and yet the card still stays that toasty.



At 80C, it's likely going to die within a year to year in a half. If you overclock it it'll toast itself pretty instantly.



An antec 900 is a 90 dollar investment that will save you hundreds in the long term. ( I don't recommend the 1200 unless you run with 5 or more hard drives. )



If you want other opinions, check http://www.pcper.com , this is my setup: http://www.wolvenmoon.com/sharedfiles/pa… , I used to run my quad core system with 9800GTX+ and 550W PSU in the silver case with 5 CD-rom sized bays, it was too cramped and my temps were too high and the fans too loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment