Thursday, April 26, 2012

Temperature sensor on video card malfunction?

I just bought a new video card (sealed in package), and right when I wake up my computer (from sleep mode), the card automatically shows 75 C as its temperature (my room temperature is 85 F = 30 C), and there have only been seconds for electricity in the card. Then as I surf the web and do simple activities, the card supposedly gets up to 110 C. I thought I was overheating, so I bought the very best quality liquid silver gel, and rinstalled the hotsink with only about 1-2 C improvement.



I suspect that I am not overheating, but that the temperature sensor is bad. My reasoning is that seconds after startup it should say around 30 C which is room temperature--not 75 C.



Is my reasoning correct?|||it may very well be 75C. try first turning off the computer over night and let the card cool to room temp. boot up the next morning and open your monitoring software. see if it spikes or rises steadily. the computer still draws power in sleep mode but with no GPU activity it shouldnt be anywhere over 30C. if your problem persists get this cooler:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



it dropped my GPU temps from 40C idle/60C load to 20C idle/30C load...





EDIT



put your hand over but not on the card. at 110C you should be able to feel a lot of heat...



EDIT



110C is 230F so if you put your hand on it you would not be able to keep it there. if you can touch it then i agree that you have a bad sensor...|||That sounds like it may be the case, but processors do run very hot these days. You could also have a defective card. It may be reporting the temperature in the wrong scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment