Thursday, April 26, 2012

Is it possible that my pc restarts because of video card overheating or is the PSU that causes this?

Is it possible that my pc restarts because of video card overheating?

Since I installed the latest drivers for my EAH 5670 video-card and had a Blue Screen of Death suggesting a hardware failure, my compure keeps restarting when I use applications that stress the video card like 3D games (BF BC2). At first I thought it was the processor overheating, so I changed the cooler and now that is not a concern anymore, but I noticed that the video card has a very high temperature, quickly raising at aprox 70C and probably more during the game. In the end the PC restarts(and I can anticipate this because the sound of the videocard cooler is like a chopper). In EVEREST Ultimate Edition I noticed that I have another device in the system that has a high temp(75-92C). It is called " Aux" and I don't know what device this is.

Is it possible that the video-card overheating is causing the PC restart.. even if I disabled the " enable overheat protection" feature from the AI manager?

Is it possible for the new software that caused the BSOD to be the cause of a hardware damage?... until then my PC worked just fine.. no temperature issues.



Additional Details

Voltage values(from EVEREST) are ok except those two: "+12V" value ~ 8.8V and "-5V " value ~ -1.45V



Is it possible for the videocard update to damage may PSU?



Is it possible for the videocard to overheat due to lack of voltage?



P.S. :The Everest reading must be wrong since the BIOS says 11.932V for the 12V value|||Yes, it is possible that the card is overloading and thus causing the psu to overheat and the system to crash. That model card has a minimum 400 watt requirement. Check your psu capacity and make sure it is at least 600 watts. Here is also a psu calculator: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Next time you get blue screen, record error codes as well and do google searches; disable automatic restart upon system failure too to have time to record error codes. May need better case cooling as well.|||yes it is possible, im guessing anyway to prevent the card from melting, IVE SEEN IT HAPPEN (only once tho) it sucks -.-

mine old computer when it did this, the computer shutdown insteda|||Remove the dust in your computor brah..|||It's very possible that your GPU is overheating.

I wouldn't disable "overheat protection", as too much heat can and will destroy your CPU and or GPU.

Make sure your heatsink is mounted properly.



If I were you I monitor your GPU temperatures while gaming, just to be sure it's overheating.

It could simply be a bad driver. I've had video drivers cause crashing to the point where I was forced to roll back to a previous version of the driver.



Roll back to a driver version that you know worked. You could do this in the device manager by right clicking the device and choosing to roll back the driver.



It's also very possible that the power supply is the cause of the crashes.

Disable automatic restarts upon system failure.

This will allow you to read any BSOD messages. Note any "fault modules" in the message.



You could also go into the event viewer, under Windows Logs > System, and look for any critical errors. Note the time of the next BSOD, restart afterwards, and look for an error in event manager that corresponds to that time. You may find out some info.



Also, check your RAM. Bad RAM and a faulty power supply are the main causes of all BSOD.|||Dw aux is always an incorrect reading mine says like 119 degrees and I think bad ram could also be the problem it could also be the video driver update see if you can restore windows to an earlier point



Edit: 70c is quite normal for a gpu under stress mine sits 60 on idle and hits 70 on stress this is not the best method but you can try opening up the side casing it will help cool the hardware just remember to clean your pc regular and check for dust on the gpu also try installing the previous driver version

No comments:

Post a Comment